Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Aquascaping

So, as I stated in a post recently I have plants in The Vintage Tank. I forgot to mention them in my excited update. So far all of the plants are from South America except one which is from Asia.

This is the list of plants:
  • Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri)
  • Melon Sword (Echinodorus osiris)
  • Crypt Wendtii, Green (Cryptocoryne wendtii) Asian!
  • Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum)
  • Aponogetons unknown varieties (bulb packages)
  • ChainSword - Narrow Leaf (Echinodorus tenellus)
  • Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae)

And an accidental sprig of Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) broke off in the bag when the guy at PetSmart didn’t know the difference between Wisteria and Melon Sword. Crazy, right? (need to find better plant provider...FS in Greensboro is good but 30 mins away)

I plan to get some type of floating plant to shade the tank eventually. I can't seem to find any at the Pet stores around here! I need to check my fave LFS that isn't really that L as its 15 minutes away...I am getting spoiled, I remember thinking that shopping was close by when it was 40 minutes away!

My brother had some type of floating plant in his tanks when we were younger...I remember it taking over and being annoying but the fish liked the shadow it cast and I know my CTs will appreciate it and will color up better.

I will try to take some pictures of the tank as it is now, and post the ones that are still on the camera ASAP.

In other decor/aquascaping news I found the perfect piece of driftwood, or Mendal did. We found it at an Antique Mall believe it or not. For only $2.50 we got an old narley piece of driftwood that will be the star of The Vintage Tank.

However in order to use real drift wood I will probably have to add some Limestone to the tank to keep the pH from falling too low. We have acidic water here and while the fish I've chosen do well in slightly acidic water I think anything below 5 would be a bad thing!

pH levels in my tanks now:

The Vintage Tank 6.8
Harem Hex 6.5
Lenore's Hex 5.5

Lenore's has always been low, which is wierd because the Harem Hex has exactly the same everything (plants, substrate, filtration, light, water, and they were set up on the same day).

Next up Limstone search (Friday) and Pictures of The Vintage Tank!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! What ya gotta do to prep for the move?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting!

    No Co2?
    What lighting pattern you follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't use Co2, I have what is considered a low tech setup I guess. I am using a Power Compact 65 Watt bulb which puts me just over 2wpg. I do dose with API liquid ferts when the mood strikes but mostly I rely on the fish for plant food.

    The plants have all grown a lot since the spring, I hope to have pictures up this weekend.

    ReplyDelete