Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Introducing the Colombian Tetras

March 9, 2008

How I added the Colombian Tetras (CT) to The Vintage Tank.

When we got the jittery fishies into the house I made sure the light was out in the hall were the tank was. The hood wasn’t wired yet so that light wasn’t on to stress them further either. Actually at this point the hood hadn’t been wired yet, more on that later.
I unknotted the bag the CTs were in and held it in the water. I decided to do the floating/adding water thing to acclimate them.

Also, the bag water was filly, there was dead fish scales (Mollies one of them was housed with) and tons of poop and old food. It was a mess.

1. I floated them for 4 minutes, then added ½ cup of tank water.

2. Every 4 minutes for 24 minutes I added more water upping the amount every time.
3. I filled my “clean” bucket with tank water and put my large net over my “dirty” bucket.

(I have two buckets, blue for clean water and red for dirty water used for water changes.)








4. I cut a corner off the bag next the net over the red bucket.










I did this so the majority of nastiness would flow out first. As soon as I cut it the water started rushing out and I moved the whole over the net which caught all of the fish.

5. I then immediately placed them in the blue bucket. I let them swim for 5 minutes, keeping a close watch for hungry kittens and jumping fish.









7. After this I took my smaller net and caught them one at a time and added them to The Vintage Tank.








We went to bed soon after and 7 hours later the CTs got their first feeding of Flake Food. Which they loved and gobbled right up!

They have been swimming happily in the bubbles and playing in the filter flow for over 24 hours now. I’ve fed them 3 times, small amounts. They eat everything in about 30 seconds. I will only feed them once for the next few days so I don’t overfeed and cause a Nitrate spike!

This morning they all showed iridescent blue on their spines so I know they are feeling more relaxed in their new home. I cannot wait to get the hood wired so we can see them in light! Oh, and have some nice plants added so they can have some place to play and hid…

Sorry about all the pictures, Mendal likes her camera and I asked for everything to be documented!

Light update next!

No comments:

Post a Comment