Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cycling Update

March 1, 2009

I am BEHIND with updating!

I have days of info to type up and post, which I will do ASAP!

In other news The Vintage Tank has FINISHED CYCLING!!!!

The tank finished cycling, with Ammonia and Nitrite levels at 0 and Nitrate levels at <40ppm. I've been adding 3/4 teaspoon of ammonia a day this week and the levels are always back to 0 within a 24 hour period. After only 12 hours the Nitrites read at .5ppm

I will not be adding fish for a while yet. I have to get the hood lighting rigged. I have the retrofit but haven't had the time to install it, or more like Mendal has not been home to install it! I have a few things to work out such as a cover for the light so condensation cannot reach the bulb and also ventilation. We have a plan for a cover including Plexiglas and magnets, but we don't have a clue how to keep the hood from being hot to the touch. It is Stainless Steel and there are no wholes or slats for air flow to reach the bulb. I really do not want to cut the hood as it would decrease the value of the setup. However, I am not planning to ever sell the tank and I do need everything to be workable and safe! So, I have no idea what I'll be doing...

I'll post the cycling history soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment